Des News Marathon- the last 11 or so miles-This is kind of a race report but not mine.
This was one of the funnest running things I've ever did. We drove from Orem up to SLC at Hogle Zoo so I could run the last part of the marathon with Sasha. Why? My reasoning was 3 fold.
1. So I could get a tempo type workout in before driving home and not wanting to do it in St. George.
2. Help Sasha in any way I could.
3. See the last part of the Des News course in person- Next year I'll run it.
Did a couple miles warm up waiting for Sasah to get to the Zoo. I'm still kind of sore so I hope that I can hang in there and not get dropped by Sasha on the way in. I ended up feeling great. The best I've felt in a couple weeks. Stomach felt fine and legs moved good considering the weekend. Sasha came along and I gave him an update on the leaders and then it was time to buckle down and run.
Our splits went like this.
Keep in mind this is somewhere around Sasha's 15th mile.
1. 5:37- a little downhill past the Zoo, then steep but short little hill.
2. 6:03- We start pulling away from the guy who was right behind Sasha when I picked him up.
3. 5:54- Smooth relaxed pace
4. 5:57- same
5. 6:06- Same
6. 6:10- Same, small incline around here.
7. 6:03- We would run easy on the uphill and push the flat and downhill a little harder.
8. 6:13- Same effort- little climb
9. 6:14- Sasha is hanging tough
10. 6:22- Now he just wants to be done, I try and keep him relaxed and try to be a good wind blocker so he can draft, but I'm not that big to block any kind of head wind.
11. 6:37- Slows dwon a little but there was no need for him to push the pace. Next guy (Steve O) was around 10 mins back.
Just an awsome run. I decided I like running the end of marathons when I haven't run the first 15. The weather was great too. After Sasha finished I went back out to bring Steve O in and somehow missed him... don't ask me how. So while he was finishing I found Walter in a bad way (walking) and tryed to get him in. He showed a lot of guts at the end and fought off being chicked.
Good job to everyone who ran today! We missed the Logan guys so I sent some stuff with Sasha to give to them.